Trees are beautiful and they provide a lot of shade to our yards and color to our landscape. It can take years, decades for trees to grow big and tall; so why would anyone want to cut them down? There are several scenarios that would result in a tree needing to be cut down, including damaged trees from storms or older trees that are dying. Removing trees on your own is a very risky job. Safe tree removal requires special tools and equipment to be used by individuals licensed and trained to use them properly.
Why Would You Need to Cut Down a Tree?
Whether your tree removal is an aesthetic choice or a safety choice to prevent a hazardous tree from falling, sometimes tree removal is necessary. There are a few common reasons to have a tree cut down on your property:
- Diseased Trees
- Trees like any other plant or bush are susceptible to horticulture diseases and pest infestations. These diseases and infestations, if not treated quickly, can overtime kill the tree.
- Damaged Trees
- Trees can be damaged over the years by weather events, old age, improper pruning and wounds from yard equipment.
- Dead Trees
- It can be hard to tell when a tree has died. Once a tree is dead, they become more of a fall hazard.
- High Maintenance Trees
- Some trees just require a lot of maintenance. Certain species of trees can drop large seeds, nuts, pine needles and twigs, creating a big mess to clean up.
- Poor Location
- A tree may be in an area that you plan on doing some construction or renovations in, or it may be that the tree blocks too much sunlight from your garden.
- Personal Preference
- It may just be that you prefer not to have a tree in that specific location.
Risks Involved with Tree Removal
Tree care and upkeep in general is a hazardous task. Tree removal is even more dangerous. Felling trees requires unique skills and knowledge of tree physics, biology, dangerous tools, advanced cutting techniques, and more. Cutting down a tree on your own can not only severely injure yourself or those around you but can also cause you and your surrounding neighbors major property damage.
- Falling Branches & Limbs
- Branches and limbs can fall easily, even if the tree is healthy. Professional arborists are trained to know what branches & limbs to watch for and how to avoid being struck by them.
- Malfunctioning Equipment
- Tools needed for tree cutting may not be tools you are used to using everyday. When one of them malfunctions, it can be very risky trying to figure out how to fix them or to keep using them. Trained tree removal teams have the expertise and knowledge to safely manage these high power tools.
- Falling Tree
- The tree itself may come down sooner than planned or in an undesired direction. There is a certain process and specific way to cut a tree to try to control the direction it falls in. Do not risk having a tree fall on you or your personal property.
- Environmental Hazards
- You may have power lines or other cables in the surrounding area that could come down if your tree removal is not controlled.
Tools Needed To Take Down a Tree
Tree removal requires a wide variety of equipment that most individuals do not have on hand or the knowledge to use. Every tree scenario is different, the health of the tree, placement of tree and surrounding area of tree all play a role in what tools will be needed to safely remove it from the property. Professional arborists are trained on these tools and unique ways to utilize them to get the job done.
- Crosscut Saws
- Stump Grinders
- Safety Harness (Fall & Rescue)
- Safety Equipment (hardhats, gloves, ear plugs, protective clothing, safety glasses)
- First Aid Kits
Benefits of Hiring a Licensed Arborist for Tree Removal
Arborists are professionals in the practice of arboriculture. They are experts in the care and maintenance of trees. Some arborists are also knowledgeable about vines, shrubs, and other types of plant life. A certified arborist has gone through additional qualifications to earn formal certification through the International Society of Arboriculture (ISA). The ISA certification allows arborists to further their knowledge and competence in tree work, gain more experience and prove their commitment to the industry.
- Most licensed arborists are also insured (double check that they are). If any process of the tree removal causes damage to your property, or any arborists are injured, their insurance protects them. You do not want to be held liable.
- Arborists have a lot of experience removing a variety of tree species from a variety of environments. They are able to assess the needs and risks of each tree removal to determine the safest and most optimal process for removal.
- Quicker Removal
- Having the right tools to get the job done quickly and efficiently is a big bonus.
- Debris Cleanup
- A professional tree removal company will haul away the debris from the tree removal when they are done.
Blackhawk’s team includes ISA-certified specialists who have been studying trees for decades. That means we have the knowledge and expertise needed to assess the health and safety of any type of tree in our area. If you have a tree that you are concerned about or a tree you’d like to have cut down, our team will provide a free tree service estimate for you.